6/28/2011

Racism, Sexism, and Romance?

Can’t hide it.  Can’t hide from it.  This week’s Bible reading from Genesis 24 tells the story.

Abraham was a racist. “'You shall not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live.”

The cultural rule during Isaac’s time was sexist.  “go to my father's house, to my kindred, and get a wife for my son”

And somehow, in spite of bad behavior, bad social skills, bad treatment of people, racism, and sexism, Isaac and Rebekah got together and loved each other.

There is no condoning racism.  It is wrong and should never be or never have been OK.
There is no condoning sexism.  It is wrong and should never be or never have been OK.
This example of "Biblical Marriage" is horrendous.

We screw up.  God finds a way to bring about something good.

I know that God will never break God’s part of the cycle.  God is always bringing healing, restoration, and hope to the ones who’ve screwed up.

I just wish we could break our part of the cycle.

Everyone matters. Can we start with that?

No comments: