What's the message of the visit of the Magi?
- I don't think it is in how many of them there were
- Or exactly what they were
- Or who they were
- Or even where they were from
- I don’t think the message is in what they followed
- I don’t think the timing of when they arrived is really significant either
- And I don’t think the gifts they brought are central to the message
Before jumping right to saying something like “Everyone should recognize Jesus – The Magi did! Why doesn’t everyone open their eyes and see Jesus and become followers of Jesus?” Let me suggest a different direction.
Do I recognize Jesus?
Strangers in this week's Bible reading saw Jesus’ face.
What about when Jesus has a stranger’s face? What about when Jesus has the face of my adversary? What about when Jesus has the face of the person I wish didn't?