This week’s Bible reading from Mark 5:21-43 shows Jesus interacting with and bringing restoration to folks who, during Jesus’ time on earth, would have only been able to exist on the margins – or the fringe of society.
- A woman who had been bleeding for a dozen years
- A dead girl and her father
And he restored all three.
He restored two with one miracle. When he raised Jairus’ daughter, he gave both the daughter and the father a restoration to a community that would have had to keep them on the margins.
And the woman who had been bleeding for a dozen years? I love the word play that is present in the English. The woman touched the fringe of Jesus cloak. (The tsit-tsit or (fringe) of the sleeves of a rabbi’s cloak was thought to convey God’s healing on whoever touched it) and was restored to the community after spending so many hears on the fringe.
Jesus – from the fringe – hung out with people from the fringe – and a woman was healed when she touched the fringe of Jesus’ cloak.
- In what way to you feel pushed to the margins – or the fringe?
- How do you think you can experience Jesus’ restoration – as you ‘reach out to the fringe of his cloak?’
- In what way do you think you can reach out to those on the fringe with Jesus’ love?