2/07/2009

National Pastors Convention 2009 - 1

San Diego, here I come! Today I'm headed, with my friend David, to the National Pastors Convention in San Diego.  David's working in the bookstore and I'm on the main stage team.  I'm looking forward to a week of hard work, deepening friendships and ministry inspiration.  There are also three 'highlights' of the convention I'm really looking forward to:
  • Meeting and hopefully chatting with AJ Jacobs, author of The Year of Living Biblically.  I love his writing and what seems to be his ability to take himself less seriously than others do.
  • Meeting and hopefully chatting with Andrew Marin, founder and president of the Marin Foundation --  an organization that works to build a bridge between the religious and GLBT communities.  Andrew has focused on the Evangelical Christian community while I've mostly been involved with mainliners.  I'm looking forward to a great conversation.
  • Spending a bit of time with Ken Medema.  Ken and I have worked together on a few events over the years.  I find him to be an authentic, amazingly talented Jesus follower.  His music is one of the highlights of any event he attends.
I'm also mindful that this event comes just a few days after Youth Specialties (A youthworker resource company owned by Zondervan - who runs the NPC -- Youth Specialties began the NPC several years back) announced a reorganization that results in the layoffs of 40% of their staff over the next few months.  I'm sure I'll see several friends I've made over the years working with YS at youthworker conventions.  I hope I'll be able to help share God's comfort and love with my friends.

It will be somewhat bittersweet, but I'm sure there will be highlights this week -- I'll post often.

No comments: