Three ordinary workers were summoned to the CEO’s office. The CEO was headed off for an extended period of time. The CEO trusted these three with some of the wealth while the CEO was away.
- One ordinary worker received 2.5 million dollars.
- Another received 1 million dollars.
- The third received 500,000 dollars
The workers who received the most money invested wisely – and doubled their money. The one who received the least (but still huge amount of) money simply buried the money for safe-keeping.
You can probably fill in the rest of the story from this week’s reading from Matthew 25:14-30: The Parable of the Talents. I’ve just put a little bit of context by translating ‘talents’ into come conservative estimates of what they would mean in today’s figures in US dollars.
- What would you/could you do if you were entrusted with wealth like that?
- Do you think you’d be willing to take financial risks in today’s economy if you had those kinds of resources?
- What will you/can you do with what you have right now?