This is the right direction for this, and, I think, future Seuss' book-to-film adaptations.
Here's a little more:
- I didn't really like The Cat in the Hat film -- and I like Horton a whole lot better. I really liked the Grinch movie -- and aside from a short time in the middle that I thought dragged (Why? I'm not sure -- I started to doze briefly.) I like Horton better than that one too!
- Charles Osgood as the narrator? Brilliant!
- Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell both have a gift for making people laugh
- The Pokemon sequence was cute, but why have a homage to a TV show that's no longer noticed by popular culture?
- Joey King's Katie wins the award for cutest film character of the year -- even if she's too close to Pikachu.
- There's usually something to talk about politically after I see a film. This one, written just after the fall of Sen. Joseph McCarthy began, lends itself well to today's culture of "Do what I say or I'll tell everyone you're unpatriotic" that comes from a certain unnamed president.