3/24/2008

Doubt

Here's this week's Bible study blog entry for i.ucc.org:

How much do you doubt? How much is too much? How much is too little?

This week's reading from John 20:19-31 is about Thomas (you know, "Doubting Thomas!") and Jesus. I have a few short thoughts about doubt and I'd live to hear what you think:

Here are four statements about doubt. Think about whether you agree or disagree with them:

  • Doubt is uncertainty or skepticism
  • Doubt is the absence of faith
  • Faith cannot exist with doubt
  • Doubt and faith exist together
The first statement is a shortened version of a dictionary definition of doubt.
The second one is the one that I was taught by a few teachers when I was growing up.
The third one was what the second one led to in my mind as I grew.
The fourth one is what I believe.


What do you doubt? What do you believe?

2 comments:

Peter said...

I'd agree with you on the fourth statement. In fact, I suspect many people are like me, and the balance between the two varies throughout their life. I've recently read books by Hitchens and Dawkins, but also by Collins, so I'll let you guess where my pendulum of life is right about now.

Kirk Moore said...

Hey Peter! Great to hear from you. I read God is Not Great last year but haven't read anything by Dawkins or Collins as of yet. I think many people agree with the fourth statement too.