This week's Bible reading is from Matthew 2:1-12 -- the visit of the Magi.
What's the message of the visit of the Magi?
- I don't think it is in how many of them there were
- Or exactly what they were Or who they were
- Or even where they were from
- I don’t think the message is in what they followed
- I don’t think the timing of when they arrived is really significant either
- And I don’t think the gifts they brought are central to the message
I believe the message is that these visitors from another land, another culture and another religion recognized Jesus.
Before we start jumping right to saying something like “Everyone should recognize Jesus – The Magi did! Why doesn’t everyone open their eyes and see Jesus and become followers of Jesus?” I think we should focus in a different direction.
Do we recognize Jesus? We don’t have a baby in Bethlehem to visit. How can we see Jesus?
Strangers in this week's Bible reading saw Jesus’ face.
What about when Jesus has a stranger’s face? How do we reach out to others with Jesus love?