Here's this week's "Opening the Bible" blog post for i.ucc.org:
I love the films where, just as things are going poorly and a person or a group is ready to give up, someone comes and inspires them to dig down deep and remember what’s important. (or something very similar to that.) The person or group then goes out, ready to succeed in whatever it was they were trying to accomplish.
Sometimes we do need a pep talk to get us back on track.
I think this week’s reading from 2 Timothy 1:1-14 is a pep talk.
- It reminds the person addressed where they are from – and what they are made of.
- In encourages the person addressed to dig down deep and to remember how important they are.
- It reminds the person addressed that God provides power and love.
- It reminds the person addressed that Jesus is capable of doing anything.
- It encourages the person addressed to be bold as a speaker of the truth.
- It encourages the person addressed to hold fast to what is important and to continue following the Holy Spirit.
My heart is beating faster just thinking about it.
How does this week’s reading affect you?