8/04/2007

Forbidden Broadway: Special Victims Unit (in Chicago)

Cassie got me tickets to this wonderful parody production for our anniversary. Last night we went to the Royal George Cabaret Theater in Chicago for the experience. Here's my short review:

I laughed a whole lot -- but there were more than a few times that I missed out on the joke.

Here's a little more

  • I haven't kept up on all the plays and musicals showing over the last several years on Broadway and in Chicago. I recognized several, but likely would have laughed harder if I'd known the others.
  • As best as I can remember, the productions parodied (wow! there were a bunch!) were (no links, I don't have the energy!) Annie, Mamma Mia, Chicago, Wicked, Hairspray, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Light in the Piazza , Virginia Wolfe, Doubt, All Shook Up, Avenue Q, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys, Spamalot, Little Shop of Horrors and Mary Poppins. (Say that without taking a breath!)
  • I remember several celebrity parodies. I know I'm missing several, but here's what I remember: Harvey Fierstein, Carol Channing, Brooke Shields, Kathleen Turner, Cherry Jones, Sarah Brightman, Yoko Ono, Robert Goulet and Hugh Jackman.
  • My favorite of the evening has to be Harvey Fierstein first as Edna Turnblad and then returning (in almost the same costume) as Tevye.
  • I think anyone who sees this hilarious production will laugh -- but if you want to laugh harder, I'd recommend seeing or studying up on the productions it parodies first!

I'm sorely lacking in Broadway knowledge.

No comments: