I laughed a whole lot -- but there were more than a few times that I missed out on the joke.
Here's a little more
- I haven't kept up on all the plays and musicals showing over the last several years on Broadway and in Chicago. I recognized several, but likely would have laughed harder if I'd known the others.
- As best as I can remember, the productions parodied (wow! there were a bunch!) were (no links, I don't have the energy!) Annie, Mamma Mia, Chicago, Wicked, Hairspray, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Light in the Piazza , Virginia Wolfe, Doubt, All Shook Up, Avenue Q, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys, Spamalot, Little Shop of Horrors and Mary Poppins. (Say that without taking a breath!)
- I remember several celebrity parodies. I know I'm missing several, but here's what I remember: Harvey Fierstein, Carol Channing, Brooke Shields, Kathleen Turner, Cherry Jones, Sarah Brightman, Yoko Ono, Robert Goulet and Hugh Jackman.
- My favorite of the evening has to be Harvey Fierstein first as Edna Turnblad and then returning (in almost the same costume) as Tevye.
- I think anyone who sees this hilarious production will laugh -- but if you want to laugh harder, I'd recommend seeing or studying up on the productions it parodies first!
I'm sorely lacking in Broadway knowledge.