7/11/2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I was in the highly energized 12:01 am crowd for the latest Harry Potter movie. Here's my short review:

A grown-up Harry and a most excellent and epic battle scene.

Here's a little more.

  • I felt the joy, fear, pain, anguish, warmth, compassion and celebration this film expressed.
  • Great kiss, Harry and Cho!
  • I haven't read any of the books, so the new characters were completely new to me.
  • Luna Lovegood (Evanna Lynch) is wonderfully quirky and likeable. I'm looking forward to more of her in future films.
  • Dolores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton) is perfect as the anti-Mary Poppins.
  • The epic battle scene had my heart racing and my breath held.
  • I noticed the political overtones of fear and the loss of the freedom of expression.
  • Favorite quotable moment: When Hermione says that Ron has the "emotional capacity of a teaspoon."

I think this one is my favorite of the Harry Potter series so far.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. tuesday night late. you are dedicated. (or one of your kids is a super fan...

Kirk Moore said...

How sad is this . . . everyone but me was out of town and I went to the midnight show alone. It was easier to find a seat tho!

Anonymous said...

you *have* to read the books. But wait until after all the movies come out.

i find that i am usually mildly disappointed at the movies when i compare them to the books. but, i am a super-fan.

when i consider the movies as separate from the books, i think they are great.

Kirk Moore said...

I'll get around to the books -- I've got driving time every day and love listening on CD . . .