6/21/2007

UCC General Synod - Day 0

I left today as a relaxing travel day . . . turns out I needed it!

  • My first flight out of O'Hare was cancelled (I have no idea why) but after waiting in a long line (and chatting with Sue -- a friend of a few years who just happened to be there too!) and talking with an already weary, but very friendly US Air ticket agent I flew to Hartford via Washington DC. I arrived about three hours after I originally expected.
  • On the DC plane I met Brian, who was on his way to Cape Town, South Africa to research building a school there. Great conversation -- and both of us slept for most of the flight.
  • The airlines lost (delayed) my suitcase – but my guitar made it! (Hopefully I'll get the suitcase tonight!)
  • I loved the hospitality for Synod at the airport – They had smiles, kindness and cookies!
    Everything is working great at the hotel working great (though I did need a lesson on how to open the door!)
  • I went to the hotel across the parking lot and picked up all my "Synod stuff" so that I know where I'm supposed to go when :)
  • I walked across the street to have dinner at Margaritas (If anyone is keeping "nutrition" score, I had tomato and onion nachos -- cheddar and monterey jack cheese -- no meat) I was sitting alone at the bar and had the chance to meet Duane -- the sales manager for Diamond Glass. He was friendly, talkative and great company for dinner!

It’s been long, but it has been a wonderful and surprisingly relaxing day. Tomorrow morning I'll head over to the civic center for all the fun!

2 comments:

Peter said...

My apologies about the flight. US Air is (at least was at one time) controlled by David Bronner, the CEO of the Alabama Teacher's Retirement System (of which I am a member). Dr. Bronner is a fine man- one of the few competent people in Alabama government. But I gather he could do little to turn US Air around into a smart investment.

Hope you at least had some time to be an inspired songwriter!

Kirk Moore said...

Everything's great -- and I got my luggage this morning too!