6/11/2007

Can you hear me now?

No -- it's not a Verizon commercial -- it's this week's "Opening the Bible" blog entry for i.ucc

+++++++++++++++++
A few years back I had a conversation with UCC president and general minister John Thomas. He told me about a new campaign the UCC was coming up with that reminded people that "God is Still Speaking." I was energized thinking about the possibilities.

He also mentioned something else. He said that later a second campaign would begin – reminding people that "God is Still Listening." I don’t know if that campaign ever got moving – or if I’m ruining some kind of future surprise by mentioning it. But the phrase "God is Still Listening" has stuck with me.

I believe God was listening to the cries of the Psalmists I believe God was listening to the one who wrote this week's Bible reading from Psalm 5:1-8, a morning lament that God’s followers have long sung and read in preparation for the day. I really do believe that God is still listening today.

But I guess I'm not always sure of it.

Sometimes I wonder – Is God listening? Is anyone listening? Are my thoughts and prayers only heard in my own mind? Is God really guiding me or am I just living my life talking to something that’s not there at all?

Questions like that aren’t always staring me in the face, but I’d be lying if I said that I’m always completely sure that God is present, speaking or listening.

I think the writers of the Psalms had similar questions in their minds at times too. Reading their words and seeking to understand their thoughts give me comfort. I see faithful people from the past with similar doubts. Yet they, and I still look to God for guidance, inspiration, justice and love.

No comments: