1/08/2007

Whining -- Water into wine

Here's the whole blog entry I posted for this week at "Opening the Bible" on i.ucc:

Whaddya think? Anyone want to have the "Jesus turned water into wine, so . . . " discussion? Here are some things I've heard over the years.

One of this week's focus Bible readings is from John 2:1-11. It's the story of Jesus' first recorded miracle: Turning water into wine.
I don't know how he did it.
I don't know how it really happened.
And over the years, I've heard some explanations from others:
"It wasn't really wine. It was grape juice."
"The wine of Jesus' time wasn't the kind that makes a person drunk."
"Jesus wasn't endorsing the consumption of alcohol -- he was simply doing what his mother asked"
I simply think that somehow, Jesus turned water into wine and the guests were really happy. I'm reasonably certain that Jesus drank with the guests. I think it's even possible that he got a little bit tipsy -- on this and maybe some other occasions.
I also think that some people have a problem with alcohol consumption -- either from their moral perspective or as a person who has abused alcohol or as a person who has been affected by the behavior of a person who abuses alcohol. I don't think a person should ever use this verse to berate or cut down a person who chooses, for whatever reason, not to drink.
What do you think?

No comments: