1/29/2007

Handing on wisdom

Here's the latest "Opening the Bible" blog entry that I posted at i.ucc:

I've been reflecting back over the past 7 1/2 years and thinking, "What kind of wisdom have I handed on to people over the years?"
This week's reading from 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 reads like an early confession of faith -- a set of things that believers were supposed to believe in order to be considered believers. But one sentence continues to stick out for me:

"For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received:"

What comes after this sentence is important. It's one of the basic beliefs for Christians. It is something that Christians have discussed over the years and will continue to discuss, often without complete agreement.
But it's not that part that sticks out for me.
The "handed on" part is what grabs my attention. I'm finishing up as associate pastor for one congregation and beginning as pastor at another in less than a week. And I'm spending a lot of time reflecting on what kind of wisdom I've been able to "hand on" to the people I have served with over the past seven and a half years. I'm also reflecting on what wisdom I'll be able to hand on in the future.
I'll be working on that this week. But I'm curious from you. What wisdom have you been able to hand on to people in your lifetime?

Feel free to comment here, but if you go to i.ucc and join the discussion it would really be great!

No comments: