3/02/2015

Repetition

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”

I’ve said these words from Psalm 19 and I’ve heard them more times than I can count – usually as a short prayer before a preacher starts the sermon.

And I know that it’s a practice that is celebrated by many, and is a pet peeve to many.  Those who love it say that it helps them center.  Those who loathe it say that it is just so over done!

I’ve heard of, and experienced the dulling of powerful words when they’ve been repeated so often that they don’t seem to hold any meaning anymore. But I’ve also experienced the profound comfort that comes when I can think of nothing else except for what I have repeated to the point of not only memorization, but subconscious internalization.

When I’m in a place where I have no words, the words I’ve repeated so often are present – providing a way for me to, in that moment, enter a more focused, comfortable, calm,  and refreshing place.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: