Doubt is necessary to exercise faith.
Doubt and faith must exist together:
When we don’t know something for sure, faith makes it possible for us to keep going. When we doubt, faith helps us to believe through the doubt. If we didn’t doubt – there would be no need to exercise our faith.
Check out these thoughts:
- Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's certainty. (Thank you Anne Lamont, I think)
- Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's indifference. (Thank you Elie Wiesel)
- If you know for sure - there's no need for faith.
- If you don't care -- there's no need for faith.
- When you doubt -- faith is what keeps you seeking.
And I love the words of the poet Cahill Gibran:
Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.