7/23/2012

Making the impossible possible

This week’s Bible reading from John 6:1-21 tells the familiar stories of Jesus feeding the 5000 and also walking on water. 

“How did those things happen?” “Did they really happen?” “Was it magical?” “What if I don’t think they really happened? Does that kick me out of the Jesus club?”

Try not to figure it all out.  I don’t think that’s the point of the Bible stories.  I think that they’re communicating deeper truth regardless as to how anyone reacts to questions like the ones I just asked.

I think one of the deep truths being communicated is this:

God has ways of making the impossible possible.
  • Nope – no way THAT can be done. But God can make the impossible possible.\
  • What I do doesn’t make any difference at all. It’s impossible to make an impact. But God can make the impossible possible.
  • Restoring that relationship won’t happen. It’s impossible. But God can make the impossible possible.
  • I can’t talk to that person and invite them to church. I’m terrified! God can make the impossible possible.
  • There’s not enough love in the world for that person! They’ve been awful to everyone forever! God can make the impossible possible!
  • The storm is too much. It is too fierce. I can’t make it! God can make the impossible possible.

No comments: