“How did those things happen?” “Did they really happen?” “Was it magical?” “What if I don’t think they really happened? Does that kick me out of the Jesus club?”
Try not to figure it all out. I don’t think that’s the point of the Bible stories. I think that they’re communicating deeper truth regardless as to how anyone reacts to questions like the ones I just asked.
I think one of the deep truths being communicated is this:
God has ways of making the impossible possible.
- Nope – no way THAT can be done. But God can make the impossible possible.\
- What I do doesn’t make any difference at all. It’s impossible to make an impact. But God can make the impossible possible.
- Restoring that relationship won’t happen. It’s impossible. But God can make the impossible possible.
- I can’t talk to that person and invite them to church. I’m terrified! God can make the impossible possible.
- There’s not enough love in the world for that person! They’ve been awful to everyone forever! God can make the impossible possible!
- The storm is too much. It is too fierce. I can’t make it! God can make the impossible possible.