5/11/2012

Dark Shadows

My Mom wouldn't let me watch the gothic soap when I was younger.  I've seen precious little of the early Barnabas Collins TV show, but today Cassie and I went to see an opening day matinee of the newest Tim Burton, Helena Bonham Carter, and their screen paramour Johnny Depp flick.  Here's my short review.

Delightful at times. Slow and labored at others. 

Here's a little more.
  • The delightful bits?  Johnny Depp's Collins is worth watching throughout the whole film.  The soundtrack keeps you engaged when the actors do not.  
  • Alice Cooper performing during the movie made everything completely worthwhile.
  • ChloĆ« Grace Moretz as Carolyn Stoddard?  She's plays Jack Donaghy's young nemesis in 30 Rock.  Nicely done.
  • At one point during the movie, Cassie motioned that she was bored.  There are plenty of "It's OK to go to the restroom -- you won't miss much" times during the almost 2 hour runtime.

I've definitely endured worse.  But I've also seen much better.

No comments: