5/21/2012

Church-ese


This Sunday the church celebrates Pentecost.  Pentecost is a church-ese word. It means 50 days. Pentecost is 50 days after Easter.  Pentecost also marks the birth of the Church. (I think that's a church-ese phrase.  It means - "When the Christian church began" - or something close to that.)

“The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways” is a church-ese phrase. It means, “I have no idea what is going on.”

“I was convicted to say something”   means “I thought I should say something”

“The Lord told me to . . .“ usually means “I thought I should . . .“

“Well bless your heart.” Means, “You don’t have a clue.” Or “There’s no way I approve of you.”

What are some church-ese words or phrases you know? What do they mean?

And why do we continue to use church-ese when it is such a conversation ender?

No comments: