3/23/2012

The Hunger Games

And the 'summer' blockbuster season has begun already.  I haven't even had a chance to make a "Movies I'll probably see this summer' list yet.  Nevertheless, Cassie and I caught a first-day matinee of first must see film of the season.  Here's my short review:

As moving as the book -- and maybe just a little more.

Here's a little more:
  • Jennifer Lawrence is a refreshing new Hollywood a-Lister.  Her portrayal of Katniss Everdeen is powerful, heroic, and dare I say Oscar-worthy?
  • Prim doesn't have much screen time, but the bond between her and Katniss affected me deeply.  
  • I didn't feel as if I got a chance to really get to know some of the supporting characters in this film.  That said, I think the way it was put together made for marvelous storytelling.
  • My favorite supporting character?  Without a doubt, it is Lenny Kravitiz's Cinna.
  • This film is dark, angry, violent, gut-wrenching, heartwarming, and powerful.  I recommend it without reservation.

First film of the 'summer.'  First one I want to see again, too.

No comments: