1/30/2012

Getting away from it all

Jesus was tired. He’d been talking and healing. People were following him everywhere. I can imagine that the pace and the crowds were sucking the life out of him. Instead of being energized by the crowd and all the hoopla, Jesus needed to recharge – away from it all.

So he disappeared. He went away from it all – to a deserted place. He probably breathed deep and took in the blessed solitude as he prayed.

And the disciples didn’t get it. They hunted for him. They had a schedule to keep. They had people to please. When they found him they even scolded him. "Everyone is searching for you."

I think others in Jesus’ situation might have said, “So?! Let everyone wait! I need a break! Just leave me alone for a little while -- I’ll find you when I’m ready for everyone.” I think Jesus probably wanted to say something like that – or perhaps something a little stronger.

Instead, I imagine he took a deep breath and said – “Let’s go. Let’s go to some of the smaller places. I think those folks need to see and hear all this, too.”

I think Jesus found a little more time to rejuvenate by traveling to the smaller places where folks hadn’t yet heard as much of him.

Good for him.
  • Are there times, places, and life situations where your energy is being sucked dry?
  • Do you need to get away from it all, take a deep breath, and experience the blessed solitude as you pray?
  • Do you need to go somewhere else?

No comments: