12/12/2011

Abraham Simpson is my hero

I watched the Simpsons 2011 Christmas episode, “Holidays of Future Passed” last night. I think it was a great episode. Without telling too much about it, let me reveal that in it, Maggie Simpson has a baby.

And Abe Simpson has a great line.

“If there’s one day a year to give unwed mothers a break, it’s Christmas.”

I love the line – and the sentiment behind the line. Just show some love.

In this week’s Bible reading from Luke 1:26-38, the angel told Mary not to be afraid.

She was afraid.

She was in trouble. And regardless of her circumstances and why she was in them, she needed a break.

I have a feeling that if the Mary scenario were to play out today, too many people who claim to follow Jesus would look at Mary with shame instead.

It would be much better to listen to Grandpa Simpson.

I wish everyone would take off their “look at how holy I am” masks and just simply show some love. 

And I would love to put a Grandpa Simpson ornament on my Christmas tree.

No comments: