5/30/2011

Still not getting it.

Sometimes I think I have it all figured out. 

I don’t.

I don’t have the answers to all the religious questions figured out.
I don’t have the answers to all the political questions figured out.
I don’t have the answers to all the social questions figured out.
I don’t have the answers to any of life’s questions figured out.

I don’t even know many of the questions I could be asking to try to figure out any answers.

Of course, that never stops me from saying what I think. It doesn’t stop me from asking more and more questions.

Unfortunately, too often it stops me from listening – not because I know I don’t have things figured out, but because I think that I do. I ask, far too often, questions that have an agenda to see if someone is ‘with me’ or ‘against me’

I don’t get it. 

But I am trying.

The disciples had been through it all. They’d seen miracles. They’d lived through Jesus death and were now experiencing the resurrection. And they asked Jesus if now was the time he was going to kick some Roman backside and put everything the way it was supposed to be.

Jesus didn’t scold them for not getting it. He just reminded them that someone would be there to stand by their sides as they continued the journey of not getting it, but still trying.

I’m glad they didn’t get it. I’m glad I don’t get it. And I hope to never stop trying.

No comments: