Early in the morning, two Marys were headed to Jesus’ tomb. They may have been thinking about Jesus. They may have been thinking about the disciples. They may have been daydreaming as they walked.
And something got their attention really quickly.
- There was an earthquake
- An angel came down like lightning
- The angel moved the stone that covered the tomb.
- The angel sat on the stone as if it were some kind of stool.
- The guards were scared out of their skin at what they just saw
- And the angel sought to calm the whole situation down by telling the women that Jesus had been raised from the dead.
And Jesus showed up. Just in case the earthquake, the lightning angel, the stone rolled away, and the announcement didn’t get their attention, Jesus popped in and told them to share the news.
They did. With fear and great joy.