12/28/2010

True Grit

A friend and I went to see the Coen Brothers film adaptation of the Charles Portis novel.  Here's my short review.


The best film I've seen all year. Maybe the best film I've seen . . .ever.

Here's a little more:
  • This film should be shown to film school students as an example of how to make a truly great film.  
  • Great story.  Great acting.  Great directing.  Great unseen special effects.  Great music. Great drama. Great everything.
  • Oscar-worthy performances by Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon, and maybe even Josh Brolin. I expect at least the first three to be nominated - and at least the first two to win.
  • No John Wayne/Jeff Bridges comparisons.  These are two different films.  The are both great westerns.
  • I'm still singing "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" in my head.

I think I want to see this one again.  And again.

No comments: