8/03/2010

Faith

This week's Bible reading from Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16 praises the faith of Abraham and Sarah. It describes faith as "assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

I've also heard faith also described as
  • Believing without seeing
  • The belief or trust that something is true
  • Taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. (Martin Luther King, Jr)
But all too often I have doubts bigger than what I believe.

I think that doubt and faith must exist together:
  • Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's certainty. (Thank you, Anne Lamont, I think)
  • Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's indifference. (Thank you, Elie Wiesel)

  • If you know for sure - there's no need for faith.
  • If you don't care -- there's no need for faith,
  • When you doubt -- faith is what keeps you seeking.
I love the words of the poet Kahlil Gibran:
Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.

No comments: