I've also heard faith also described as
- Believing without seeing
- The belief or trust that something is true
- Taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. (Martin Luther King, Jr)
I think that doubt and faith must exist together:
- Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's certainty. (Thank you, Anne Lamont, I think)
- Faith without doubt isn't faith at all -- it's indifference. (Thank you, Elie Wiesel)
- If you know for sure - there's no need for faith.
- If you don't care -- there's no need for faith,
- When you doubt -- faith is what keeps you seeking.
Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.