I’m sick and tired of hearing calls to “return to our roots” or to “turn back to God” followed by descriptions of what too many folks think that means:
- Make the government a branch of the Christian Church
- Keep the undocumented people out of the country
- Demonize same gender loving people
- Spend billions on war – and call healthcare reform too expensive.
God’s call to return isn’t about any of those things. God’s call to return disqualifies any of those things
God’s call to return invites all to
- Drink the water
- Eat the food
- Turn away from wickedness
- Receive God’s mercy
- Experience God’s unconditional love
- Receive God’s abundant pardon
Of course, the “turn away from wickedness” part gets people going. It’s where the earlier list often comes from.
But God is not about rejection, exploitation, or domination of or by anyone.
God is about one thing – and then everything that flows from that one thing.
What thoughts do you have about this week’s Bible reading from Isaiah 55:1-9?