According to this week’s Bible reading from Ruth 3:1-5; 4:13-17, here’s how Ruth family functioned:
- Find a relative of your dead husband.
- Follow your mother-in-law’s instructions for what to do to seek security for you and for her.
- Attempt to seduce him so that he will marry you.
- (Not in the reading –but part of the story: Know that he will be a just person who will honor you and who will follow the rules set up by the system.)
- Get married.
- Have a baby.
- Give the baby to your mother-in-law to care for.
- Let the baby be the grandfather of David.