8/26/2009

District 9

A few weeks back, Matthew and I had heard so much about how great the new low-budget alien flick was that we had to give it a go. Here's my short review:

Great gore and significant social commentary in a mediocre film that stays with you.

Here's a little more.

  • I was engaged by the ceaseless violence and the journey of the main character from kind-looking but hiddenly ruthless government agent to hunted victim to sacrificial hero, but I wasn't sure what to do with it all.
  • For a low-budget film, the special effects were amazingly realistic.
  • I've read that there is enough footage from shooting this film to make at least a couple of more. I'd like to see the parts of the story I missed.
  • No notable actors in this film, but I was impressed by Sharlto Copley as Wikus Van De Merwe

A couple of weeks later and I'm still thinking about it -- this film has staying power.

No comments: