I encourage you to take a look at the issues – and decide which candidate you support. (If you've already made up your mind -- look at the issues to be better informed!)
Both candidates have touted their record on advocacy for veterans – with John McCain’s ‘touting’ being a long list due to his long tenure in congress. Extensive details on both of the candidates websites reveal that they’re in agreement on almost everything, if not everything as it relates to care for veterans. The two candidates do not have the same position on the war in Iraq, but both share a commitment to veteran care. Here are some highlights from the candidates.
John McCain (from the John McCain website)
- Increase pay scales and enlistment bonuses for servicemen and women.
- Expand retirement and health care benefits for reservists.
- Fully fund and provide meaningful access to veterans' health care programs.
- Ensure that veterans who are eligible for benefits know what they are entitled to and have the resources to obtain their benefits.
- Ensure that veterans with service-connected disabilities can receive the retirement benefits that they have earned.
- Provide educational and job counseling programs to help veterans get civilian employment.
- Help homeless veterans by providing them with counseling, independent living training, and residential treatment programs.
- Protect veterans from scam artists and loan sharks who would prey on low income veterans.
- Increase the survivor benefit plan for widows or widowers of retired veterans.
- Honor the Service and Sacrifice of Our Past and Present Veterans .
Barack Obama (from the Barack Obama website)
- Allow All Veterans Back into the VA.
- Strengthen VA Care.
- Combat Homelessness among Our Nation's Veterans.
- Fight Veterans Employment Discrimination.
- Ensure a Seamless Transition from active duty to civilian life.
- Fully Fund VA Medical Care.
- Fix the Benefits Bureaucracy.
- Improve Mental Health Treatment.
- Improve Care for Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Expand Vet Centers.
Next up: Health Care