Over the next several weeks, I'm posting some 'political' entries -- contrasting the plans of the two major-party candidates for president.
I encourage you to take a look at the issues – and decide which candidate you support. (If you've already made up your mind -- look at the issues to be better informed!)
The ideas from both candidates are so similar that it seems there are no significant areas of disagreement. However, the language of “Secure our Borders FIRST” in contrast to “Create Secure Borders” may be perceived as some as a difference. It isn’t.
Obama (From the Obama website)
- Create Secure Borders: Secure additional personnel and improve infrastructure and technology on the border and at our ports of entry.
- Improve Our Immigration System: Increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill. Increase the number of people we allow into the country legally to a level that keeps families together and meets the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill.
- Pass the Citizenship Promotion Act to ensure that immigration application fees are both reasonable and fair.
- Respect Families: Put greater emphasis on keeping immigrant families together.
- Crack down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants.
- Work with Mexico to promote economic development in Mexico to decrease illegal immigration.
- Honor our Immigrant Troops: Legal immigrants who have fought for us overseas should have expedited procedures towards citizenship.
McCain (From the McCain website)
- Secure Our Borders First. Utilize physical and virtual barriers, training facilities, technologies, unmanned Aerial Vehicles and other aircraft where needed.
- Comprehensive Immigration Initiatives for a Secure Nation. Use an electronic employment verification system to identify and aggressively prosecute employers that continue to hire illegal immigrants.
- Utilize fair temporary worker programs for Highly Skilled workers, Low-skilled non-agricultural workers and Low-skilled agricultural workers:
- Address the Undocumented. All undocumented individuals will be required to enroll in a program to resolve their status. This will identify criminal aliens for prosecution and deportation. And allow remaining undocumented immigrants to move toward citizenship by must learning English, paying back taxes and fines, and passing a citizenship course as part of a path to legal status.
- No person here illegally will receive a green card before those that have been legally waiting outside the country.
- All undocumented aliens must either leave or follow the path to legal residence.
- Be fair, humane, realistic, and ensure the rights of the individuals and families. Ensure that families are reunited.
- Address in an expedited manner the status of individuals brought here illegally as minors through no will or intention of their own.
- Eliminate the Family Backlog. clear out the backlog of individuals that are waiting legally outside of the country, some for up to 20 years, for their green card number to become available.
Next up: Education