4/29/2008

Lars and the Real Girl

The summertime movies are about to arrive -- I'll be posting short reviews of the ones I see beginning really soon! I don't do many reviews about the movies I watch on dvd, but since I didn't catch this one in the theatres and because it is such an amazing film, here goes!

I watched Lars and the Real Girl recently -- wondering what kind of strange movie it would be. Here's my short review:

Unnerving, delightful, painful, funny and affecting.

Here's a little more:

  • In writer Nancy Oliver's words -- "What if we treated mental illness with compassion?" This film takes that to heart and, I think, can inspire others to do the same.
  • Ryan Gosling is über-talented.
  • Kelli Garner is going to be one of those actresses who has a long and successful career.
  • The DVD extras on this one are worth watching
I wish more people had seen this movie. I'd list it as a "must see" for anyone.

No comments: