1/11/2008

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

I've been following Big Idea since the spare-room production of the first VeggieTales video back in 1993 (I actually found it in early 1994 in the bargain bin) This morning I caught the newest VeggieTale movie. Here's my short review:

A fun, inspiring but a little slow moving children's film that really gets going near the end.

Here's a little more:

  • Nice digital sets, vivid colors and characters. They don't of course, have the depth of "supposed to look real" cgi characters -- but they look wonderfully 'cartoony.'
  • Though there is no overt religious content in this one, excellent Bible themes and even easy-to-recognize Christian symbolism is all over the place. If you're not looking for it you'd likely miss it, though.
  • If this movie was shorter, I think it would have been better.
  • Be sure to stay to the end -- before and after the credits -- for what I think is the best part of the movie.
  • I think the Christian reviewers will love this movie and the secular reviewers will think it's cute, but not great.
I thought of several other movies or TV shows that may have been part of the inspiration for this one. See if you can find references or reminders of these films in TPWDDA:

I think kids 3-8 will be the best audience for this movie.

No comments: