8/25/2007

Mother Theresa

I never met her. I did see the love she shared for others and the good she did in the world.

And now I find out that Mother Theresa was human, too.

There's a whole lot of talk about the recent Time Magazine article, "Mother Theresa's Crisis of Faith."
From the article: (quoting Mother Theresa in the new book, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light)
"Please pray specially for me that I may not spoil His work and that Our Lord may show Himself — for there is such terrible darkness within me, as if everything was dead. It has been like this more or less from the time I started the work."
Some are calling her a closet atheist and others are praising her for continuing to do God's work even through all her feelings of God's absence.


I just look at the article and see a woman who sought to do good -- suffered from (and was tormented by) faith doubts, bouts of depression and too often felt absent from God.

I think she's an extraordinary example of God's work being done by the people who are broken. I think this human child of God is still teaching us about God's care and love for all -- whether we realize it, feel it, believe it or not.

No comments: