I saw the latest remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (The original was in 1956 -- remakes in 1978, 1993 and now) last night. Here’s my short review:
A psychologically and politically creepy horror re-re-remake that made me shudder.
Here’s a little more:
- Great “more than cameo” appearance by 1978 star Veronica Cartright.
- Jeremy Northam really channeled his inner Liev Schreiber for this role
- Without overly relying on gory special effects, this film really creeped me out.
- The time supposedly elapsed during this film doesn’t work with the way it felt.
- I noticed the “invasions are not the true way to world peace” message under it all.
- I also caught the “free thinking is not allowed – you must conform to our way” references.
- I think that original director Oliver Hirschbiegel’s cut was probably the better film. I'm looking forward to seeing that on DVD.
This wasn't a great film, but I’ll be thinking about it for a long time.