6/07/2007

God is not great

I just finished listening to Christopher Hitchens' book, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. (I spend about an hour a day in the car -- so why not listen?) Hitchens' book is a brilliant and scathing indictment of the behaviour and background of religious bodies all over the world. And in this recruiting tool for those who are considering atheism, I believe he has a point. People have behaved horrendously in the name of religion.

I found the book fascinating and engaging. However, Mr. Hitchens has not convinced me to abandon my faith in God. I don't expect that I'd convince him to give up his atheism, either. While I was listening to the book, nevertheless, I found something we agree on. Mr. Hitchens quoted Philippians 4:8 (He recited it at a funeral)
Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

I'd love to have a conversation with Mr. Hitchens -- not for either of us to convince one another in any way about faith or atheism, but instead to look for whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing and commendable. I think we have and would continue to find common ground with which to be friends.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Well said! I've read many others in your line of work who weren't so open-minded about Hitchens' book.

I've read it, as well as a similar work from Richard Dawkins. While you and I may disagree about what these books posit, I appreciate your fair treatment of the Hitchens work.

Kirk Moore said...

Thanks, Peter. It must be the British accent, right?