3/29/2007

A genuine celebration?

Here's this week's "Opening the Bible" blog post I wrote for i.ucc. I posted it Tuesday but I forgot about putting it here . . . now you'll have this post and then the sermon expansion the next day!

++++++++++++++
"I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out."

I think it was a massive parade when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a colt. I think people cheered and screamed and had a great time. I think there was so much excitement that it felt like the stones would shout out, too.
I also think there was little, if anything, genuine about the celebration.
Jesus didn’t come into town like a warrior – and some people were disappointed or angry that the anointed one wasn’t arriving to take over.
Jesus didn’t sneak into town to avoid notice – and some people were frightened that he was arriving to take over.
The people who celebrated on this day at best lost interest as the week went on. Some may have even been part of the crowd shouting for Jesus crucifixion a few days later.
Why is Palm Sunday a day we celebrate with such joy? Are we celebrating the ones who lost interest in Jesus after the big parade? Can we separate the actions of a fickle crowd from the genuine celebration of the arrival of Jesus the Christ?
Does Palm Sunday ever bother anyone else?

No comments: