2/24/2007

Amazing Grace

I saw the movie "Amazing Grace: The William Wilberforce Story" yesterday. I'm not usually a fan of period films, though I've seen my share and enjoyed several. This film is among my favorites in the genre for two reasons. First and secondmost, I think the cinematography, costuming, acting and overall film presentation is very good. (OK -- not amazingly good, but good.) The portrayals of William Wilberforce by Ioan Gruffudd and John Newton by Albert Finney are my favorites, though I would say that there are at least 6 performances that would be award-worthy. Secondly and mostly, the story behind the film is compelling, moving and relevant to people from all walks of life. Religious and non-religious, liberal or conservative and modern and postmodern thinkers can appreciate how amazing the story of Mr. Wilberforce is and how world-changing what he did was. I recommend this film to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i saw it today too and i agree with your review. i was disappointed that it focused less on john newton (as the title suggests) and his repentance and writing of the hymn.

Kirk Moore said...

There'll have to be a prequel.

traci said...

what did you think of the oscars? i vote for an oscars post! xoxo

Kirk Moore said...

Hmmm . . . OK