10/10/2006

Lost

I watch the TV show -- I've seen every episode. I don't get much of it, but I'm still captivated by it. I keep thinking about the meanings the title may have. This week in the Opening the Bible blog at i.ucc I started thinking a little more. The entry is called "Lost"

I've watched the television show -- every episode over the last two and now third seasons. I continue to be intrigued by the title and it's multiply-layered meanings. I have a similar feeling in reaction to two of this week's scripture readings. (Job 23:1-9, 16-17 and Psalm 22:1-15)

Both of the Bible readings I'm thinking about today are about feeling lost and abandoned.
In the first, from Job, I see the anguish and frustration of a person who is at the end of their rope and is pleading to be able to talk to God to find out why things are so horrible. But instead of hearing from God or even sensing God's presence or comfort, this person feels alone.

In the second reading, the writer has the same sense of being lost or abandoned -- but with a slight hint of hope. Granted, the hope is slight and the anguish is what really comes through, but there is a little hope.

Both of these readings, instead of describing a peaceful presence of God, describe the reality of anguish, suffering and feeling lost or abandoned. I've felt that way -- as I'm convinced that most have. Like the people portrayed in these passages, I think many of us, if not all, have cried out for God to show up and then been left disappointed when we felt nothing.

I think the kind of pain we have when we feel totally lost and the sense of inability to do anything about it is a place where we can be so ready for God's love and compassion.

I wonder if in the television show the point for each of the characters is to let go of the things they have held so tightly too and what have ultimately been what has the cause of their suffering. I wonder if we're starting to see that as the characters let go of their "stuff" that their journey to peace begins.

In the Bible reading from Mark this week (10:17-31), Jesus tells a rich person to sell everything they have and then follow him. He couldn't do it. He wasn't ready to give up on his stuff and let Jesus be the center. Jesus offered hope, tho. He said that nothing is impossible for God.
It's hard to let go of things that we think are important but that ultimately cause harm. It's even harder to be at the end of our rope and plead for God to show up only to sense nothing. We wait and we wait and we wait for God . . .

How long should we wait?

I think a little longer.

No comments: